Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July 4th - Old School Food

This 4th of July we didn't see any fireworks, and we spent a small amount of time with other human beings. For the most part, the chief and I worked on the princess's room. We ate out a lot and didn't do the traditional barbecue gatherings. We had priorities, deadlines and to-do lists to see about.

Monday, however, we got an invitation for some family, holiday fun. Sadly, the chief couldn't make it due to illness. It was sad and he was missed, but I hit the pool and ate some fabulous brisket, sausage, ribs, potato casserole and taco salad on his behalf. I couldn't get enough. Home cooked food is very hard to come by at our house these days.

I decided to take this cake over to my mom and Doug's. Do you make this during the summer?




I think Cool Whip did an ad campaign on it one year. It seems like it was back in the early 90's and since then it has become a family staple during the summer.

With strawberries looking like this who could resist?



I tweak it a bit and use a white cake mix from the box and then add the Cool Whip, blueberries and strawberries. It really couldn't be any easier. I am pretty sure the berries should be placed in a flag pattern hence the name Flag Cake, but that is way too intense for me. Plus, I need a taste of both strawberries and blueberries all in one bite!
I shared my part and brought the rest home where we could have dessert for the week! I'm pregnant AND tricky like that.

So refreshing and tasty!

What are your summer holiday staples?

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment