Friday, January 14, 2011

I DID IT!

I finally re-created one of my favorite dishes! Now, don't get too excited...this is nothing fancy, flashy, time-consuming or rocket science.
My mom makes up dishes all the time, but I am not so skilled. For me to throw a bunch of stuff together and have it come out good or like the original has never happened. EVER.

Our local Mexican spot, Fernando's, has been a long-time favorite of this house. They hit all key elements: salsa (3 types) are great, chips are good, fajitas are excellent, nachos are fantastic and they have outdoor seating. Those are the things I'm looking for in a return-to kinda place.

When I was about 8.5 months pregnant I dined at Fernando's with some dear girlfriends. They all drank wine and margaritas until their fill and I had a good, cold O'Douls and settled on my meal. I ordered a never before plate of Chicken Tacos. I ate until I literally couldn't fit into my pants. I remember coming home, taking off the white jeans I wore OUT during pregnancy and putting on the stretchies. It wasn't totally abnormal to stuff myself to the gills, but this was a little beyond belief. I can recall that night's sleep. There wasn't any. I was so full I was miserable. Since that night those tacos have haunted me. I've had them a many of time since, but I crave them all. the. time.

So yesterday I took 1 bone-in chicken breast out to thaw. I boiled it and then pulled the meat off the bone. I threw it in a pan with several dashes of cumin, several dashes of paprika, a can of rotel, onion, salt and pepper and let it come to a boil. Then turned it down to a simmer and put the lid on and let it cook for about 15 minutes. Serve it up with some guacamole, cheese, whatever suites your fancy. See, told you it was nothing to write home about. But it tastes so good. Ole!

TGIF!

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment